Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm sick (again).

I am currently working my way through another round of Mucinex (or I was, until the pharmacy was out of it and I had to get Sudafed instead). I was kind of thinking that I might end up at the doctor's today, but (thankfully) I don't think antibiotics are going to be necessary this time.

My husband came down with a nasty respiratory infection last week, and after three days of taking him to the Minute Clinic/emergency room/doctor's office and forcing him to eat something every once and awhile, I caught it, too. Yesterday was pretty bad, but aside from a scratchy throat and some congestion, I'm feeling much better today.

I woke up yesterday morning with a mouth full of mucus--GROSS. This sparked a day-long jihad against bacteria in the house. Every item of clothing that'd been so much as looked at in the past week got thrown into the laundry. After the clothes, it was the towels. After the towels, I had it in for the bedsheets and the throw blanket on the couch. The germs were not going to have any safe places to thrive, not if I could help it. Re-use of coffee mugs for Theraflu was strictly forbidden--I now have a sink full of mugs to go into the dishwasher. I stationed Kleenex throughout the house and placed my travel bottle of hand sanitizer on the entertainment center. Begone, foul bacteria!

Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I do feel better after all that.

Or maybe it was dinner last night. We went to see Tris' dad and the rest of his family on Saturday, and we all went out to this little podunk diner/bar. I had a bacon cheeseburger, and it was good. Last night found us venturing our bacteria-laden selves out into the snow for Harry Buffalo, where I indulged in a bacon-cheddar bison burger on a wheat bun. It was probably one of the better things I've ever eaten. Then we bought Q-tips and Kleenex and Sudafed at the pharmacy and went home. Our lives are very exciting.

When I'd started getting really scratchy on Saturday night, I'd devoured almost a pint of ice cream somewhere around 10 PM. This doesn't really have anything to do with being pregnant... honestly, I didn't even really want ice cream, I just wanted to eat something cold. Last night, I retrieved what looked like a box of orange creamsicles from our freezer. We'd bought them awhile ago and I'd assumed that there must be a few left in the box, because who leaves an empty box in the freezer?

We do, apparently.

I'm debating whether I should get some popsicles today or not. On one hand, popsicles are delicious and I really would like something cold for my throat (cough drops aren't quite cutting it). On the other hand, then there will be popsicles in my house and I will tempted to eat them all. I don't think my OB would approve of a popsicle-and-Sudafed diet.

1 comment:

  1. whenever I feel myself getting sick, I just stop being sick, and be awesome instead.

    just some advice.